A classic work of American literature that has not stopped changing minds and lives since it burst onto the literary scene, The Things They Carried is a ground-breaking meditation on war, memory, imagination, and the redemptive power of storytelling.
The Things They Carried
depicts the men of Alpha Company: Jimmy Cross, Henry Dobbins, Rat Kiley, Mitchell Sanders, Norman Bowker, Kiowa, and the character Tim O’Brien, who has survived his tour in Vietnam to become a father and writer at the age of forty-three.
Taught everywherefrom high school classrooms to graduate seminars in creative writingit has become required reading for any American and continues to challenge readers in their perceptions of fact and fiction, war and peace, courage and fear and longing.
A controversial tale of friendship and tragedy during the Great Depression
They are an unlikely pair: George is “small and quick and dark of face”; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a “family,” clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation.
Laborers in California’s dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own. When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie’s unswerving obedience to the things George taught him.
“A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick.” —The New York TimesGreat product!
It’s your complete guide to nursing ― from basic concepts to essential skills! Fundamentals of Nursing, 9th Edition prepares you to succeed as a nurse by providing a solid foundation in critical thinking, evidence-based practice, nursing theory, and safe clinical care in all settings. With illustrated, step-by-step guidelines, this book makes it easy to learn important skills and procedures. Care plans are presented within a nursing process framework, and case studies show how to apply concepts to nursing practice. From an expert author team led by Patricia Potter and Anne Griffin Perry, this bestselling nursing textbook helps you develop the understanding and clinical reasoning you need to provide excellent patient care.
- 51 skills demonstrations provide illustrated, step-by-step instructions for safe nursing care ― and include rationales for each step.
- 29 procedural guidelines provide streamlined, step-by-step instructions for performing basic skills.
- UNIQUE! Critical Thinking Models in each clinical chapter show how to apply the nursing process and critical thinking to achieve successful clinical outcomes.
- Evidence-Based Practice chapter shows how nursing research helps in determining best practices.
- UNIQUE! Caring for the Cancer Survivor chapter prepares nurses to care for cancer patients who may still face physical and emotional issues.
- Case studies include unique clinical application questions and exercises, allowing you to practice using care plans and concept maps.
- The 5-step nursing process provides a consistent framework for care, and is demonstrated in more than 20 care plans.
- 15 review questions in every chapter test your retention of key concepts, with answers available in the book and on the Evolve companion website.
- Practical study tools on Evolve include video clips of skills, skills checklists, printable key points, a fluid & electrolytes tutorial, a concept map creator, an audio glossary, and more.
- UNIQUE! Clear, streamlined writing style makes complex material more approachable.
- More than 20 concept maps show care planning for clients with multiple nursing diagnoses.
- Key points and key terms in each chapter summarize important content for more efficient review and study.
- Unexpected Outcomes and Related Interventions for each skill alert you to potential problems and appropriate nursing actions.
- Delegation coverage clarifies which tasks can and cannot be delegated.
- A glossary provides quick access to definitions for all key terms.
- UPDATED! Patient Safety and Quality chapter describes how quality and safety apply to the nurse, and includes a new skill on fall prevention in healthcare settings.
- NEW content addresses the Affordable Care Act, patients’ perspectives on hospital care as measured by HCAHPS surveys, health disparities and vulnerable populations, compassion fatigue, pain assessment, patient education techniques like teach-back, new equipment, Healthy People 2020, and more.
- NEW! Additional alternate-item review questions include at least four alternate-item questions ― multiple select, sequencing/priority, delegation, hot-spot images, and fill-in-the blank for medications ― for every chapter.
- Expanded Building Competency boxes help you apply QSEN (Quality & Safety Education for Nurses) competencies to realistic clinical situations.
- UPDATED! Unique Evidence-Based Practice boxes in every chapter include a PICO question ― the Problem, Intervention, Comparison, and Outcome ― and summarize a research study along with its application to nursing practice.
- Over 100 NEW photos clarify procedures and familiarize you with the latest clinical equipment.
Of #1 New York Times-bestselling author Sue Grafton, NPR’s Maureen Corrigan said, “Makes me wish there were more than 26 letters.” With only one letter left, Grafton’s many devoted readers will share that sentiment.
The darkest and most disturbing case report from the files of Kinsey Millhone, Y is for Yesterday begins in 1979, when four teenage boys from an elite private school sexually assault a fourteen-year-old classmate—and film the attack. Not long after, the tape goes missing and the suspected thief, a fellow classmate, is murdered. In the investigation that follows, one boy turns state’s evidence and two of his peers are convicted. But the ringleader escapes without a trace.
Now, it’s 1989 and one of the perpetrators, Fritz McCabe, has been released from prison. Moody, unrepentant, and angry, he is a virtual prisoner of his ever-watchful parents—until a copy of the missing tape arrives with a ransom demand. That’s when the McCabes call Kinsey Millhone for help. As she is drawn into their family drama, she keeps a watchful eye on Fritz. But he’s not the only one being haunted by the past. A vicious sociopath with a grudge against Millhone may be leaving traces of himself for her to find…
(Book). Already known as the bible of tubes and tube amps, The Tube Amp Book is now even better! This deluxe revised edition contains 40% new material, with a comprehensive A-Z section covering all the great tube amp manufacturers, with histories, photos and information. Brands include Ampeg, Dr. Z, Fender, Gibson, Hiwatt, Marshall, Matchless, Mesa/Boogie, Orange, Vox, Watkins and many others. Features a CD-ROM with 800 available schematic and layout diagrams, from Ampeg to Western Electric, plus dramatically improved design and page layout. The book’s technical tips, in-depth electronic specs and explanations, over 350 schematic diagrams, and full-color plates make it a must-have for the legions of tube-tone fanatics. Hardcover with convenient enclosed spiral binding.40% new material11″W x 14″H416 pgs.100 pgs. on manufacturersTechnical articlesModsTube conversions200 pgs. of schematics800 schematics on CD